As an added bonus, The House Mouse (yes, ME!) will be at the Whole Foods Market Ann Arbor – Cranbrook for their event beginning at 6pm to pick up some taste some cheese, say hello and even give away a gift card to a lucky House Mouse reader!
Hope to see you there and Stay Cheesy!
Free Cheese Nights Event: Grilling Cheese 101
Whole Foods Market is celebrating fall by grilling cheeses at our FREE quarterly Cheese Nights event. Learn how to grill cheese, taste the season’s best cheese and try different grilled cheese sandwiches on Tuesday, September 16 from 6-7:30 p.m.
Here’s a few of the cheeses that will be featured in stores:
Le Gruyère Reserve
- Tasting Notes: A Swiss-made favorite with high meltability that’s been awing cheese lovers for centuries. Nutty and creamy with spicy overtones.
- Goes with: Sauvignon blanc, dried cranberries, orange marmalade, French onion soup, macaroni and cheese and fondue
Halloumi from Cyprus
- Tasting Notes: The classic sheep and goat’s milk cheese from the island of Cyprus is salty and tangy with sweet flavor from incredibly fresh milk.
- Goes with: Rosé, dried citrus, cherry spread, walnuts, arugula or mâche salad with pine nuts.
Berliner Der Käse
- Tasting Notes: Creamy, rich and highly meltable with notes of caramel and light citrus flavor.
- Goes with: Dry riesling, coarse mustards, cornichons, pickled onions and grilled pizzas.
How to create a cheese board
• Pick cheeses of contrasting textures and flavors: creamy, firm, sweet, pungent.
• Contrast Old World cheeses with New World selections.
• On a budget? Buy one or two fantastic cheeses, rather than five or six so-so options.
• One to two ounces of cheese per person is a good rule of thumb.
• Let cheese sit at room temperature for 30-45 minutes before serving for optimal flavor.
• Serve with bread and crackers for different textures and flavors to accent the cheese.
• Talk to your cheesemonger. They can offer suggestions on which cheeses pair well with others. Not to mention, Whole Foods Market has the most Certified Cheese Professionals™ in the industry in stores throughout the country, who have mastered the art of cheese from making to aging to handling. Don’t forget to ask for a taste!